Friday, September 17, 2004

Somebody hire an editor!!!

I hate, hate, hate it when I open a new issue of a magazine (or worse yet, a book) and see things like this:

"Because it is very easy to loose track of the steeked area, use a contrasting color of thread running up each side as markers."

This monstrosity was on page 25 in the Summer 2004 issue of InKnitter's.

AAARRRRGH!!!!! As an English teacher, I am offended when I see things like this. I swear, one of these days I'm going to have a field day with a red pen and mail an issue back to the editor. I've done enough editing in my day to justify my actions, I think.

There is no excuse for the existence of sentences like that one. Unless you've hired a 17 year old as your lone editor, you should be ashamed of yourself.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Things like that drive me crazy, too! It really does change what the sentence means when punctuation and spelling are incorrect!

1:15 PM  
Blogger robin said...

excuse my obvious stupidity, but can you tell me what is wrong with that sentence? it seems like you could put the second half first and take out the comma and it would still be a good sentence. i am definitely not an english teacher and am totally stumped as to why it is grammatically wrong. i am dying to know!! how would you have corrected the sentence??

1:30 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

:-)

You "lose" track, not "loose," and it should be "use contrasting colors of threads as markers" or use a contrasting color of thread as a marker."

The sentence order is actually fine. ;-)

7:34 PM  
Blogger sabrina d. said...

!!! tell me about it.

i have an accomplishment of which i'm very proud. we publish a "Resource Guide" booklet every fall for the students et al., and this year's came to me (among many others) for commentary. and there were some obnoxious things in it -- like, this is a new thing people have started doing that makes me crazy, putting "double quotes" around "things" for "emphasis" -- that i asked to be eliminated or changed, and they actually did!

hooray for the grammar nazi!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

We love the Grammar Nazi!! We wish she would come back to visit!! :-)

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home