Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Prayers for Gracie...

I haven't posted about the health problems that Gracie has been having... but it's been going on for over a month now.

She just got out of surgery at the emergency vet clinic, after spending the last 2 days at my local vet's office. They had to remove a kidney, and they think it's because the original vet (not the one who's been treating her this week) put a suture in her ureter when they spayed her nearly 6 weeks ago. She had an episode of fever, vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea a month ago, the vet put her on antiobiotics and subcutaneous fluids, and sent her home. All seemed well until Sunday, when she went downhill fast.

According to the surgeon today, the kidney was completely dead, and infection had backed up into her system and she had full-blown peritonitis. Her intestines had started to telescope into themselves, which can be fatal on its own.

Right now, they're having a hard time stabilizing her blood pressure, and she has a 60%-70% chance of coming home.

Please, if you're the praying type, send prayers. If you're not, send zen, good thoughts, anything. She's only a 6 month old puppy, but I've never had any dog - in my entire life - worm her way into my heart the way she has.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers for Gracie and for you.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Agnes said...

I am so sorry to read about Gracie's health. I wish her speedy recovery! And update us with her condition.

10:30 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Oh Kim. That was so serious and such a close shave. I hope Gracie is doing much much better now. Poor Doggie!

Lella, who has just read about all your ribbons at the fair. wowzer! Gratz!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm so glad Gracie came thru with flying colors. I've been there, done that with an 8 month old puppy that had an intestinal blockage.

The first vet screwed up the diagnosis.

The second vet screwed up the surgery.

The third vet didn't do much better on the second surgery.

FINALLY we found a vet who managed to save my little girl. 3 major surgeries in five days but she made it.

Congrats on all the ribbons too :)

Anne in Colorado
whitestarsams.blogspot.com

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home