Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Sweater that Wasn't

This is the sweater that I knit for KnitPicks. The pattern is called Renta, and it's from Vogue Knitting (2nd edition). Unfortunately, the pattern is wrong. They said that the sweater was great and beautifully done, but since the pattern is wrong, they can't use it - they can't promote an incorrect pattern. I knit it in a size small, and since I haven't worn a size small since the 7th grade, I had no way to know that the pattern is TOO SHORT. If you decide to knit this pattern, be aware that you need to knit at least 17" to the armhole, not the 15" that the pattern states. :-( So...if you're one of my family or friends that was looking for my sweater in the new catalog, it's not there.

(the water stain in the picture is from my steamer - it was leaking a little bit while I was blocking)

Lesson learned - always knit samples in a size that you (or somebody in your house) can try on repeatedly. Disappointed doesn't even *begin* to describe how I feel about this...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I was looking for it and your socks....so, now they won't accept it because of the mistakes? They won't correct the pattern and use your sweater?

8:21 AM  
Blogger sabrina said...

well, at least you can reuse the yarn -- it's a pretty color! it still completely sucks about the pattern, though :(

10:37 AM  
Blogger Kellie said...

That sucks! Man oh man, all that hard work! :(

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Aww man.. it's so pretty too.. I really love it.. What I find interesting about this is that.. My name is Kim.. I love blue.. and I'm short and tiny and I probably could wear it.. (Without the extra 2 inches.)

But you should make it into what you want it to be.. It sucks that you couldn't be in the catalog.. but maybe now that they've seen how perfect your work is maybe they'll want you to try again with a pattern that is accurate? I hope so anyway.. you deserve it : )

3:38 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

wow, that really stinks, but the sweater does look beautiful.

i can understand that they wouldn't want to promote a pattern with mistakes though...if i bought the yarn and the book to make something and found out it had errors, i'd be mighty angry.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home