Thursday, May 03, 2007

Drum Roll Please!!!

Yes, after much to-do and a heckuvalotta suspense, I'm finally gonna tell ya about my big surprise!!

As our entire family was sitting at dinner at Rachel's in the Opryland Hotel, Mom and Dad called my sister Michelle and me to their end of the table. Michelle and her husband Rick are planning a family cruise to the Bahamas next year for their 20th anniversary, and Mom & Dad are going to give them money to help pay for it. Very, very cool!!

As for me?? Well, next August (of 2008)...they are sending me to.....

ENGLAND!!!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm surprised that folks didn't hear me squealing all the way back home!! Do I have the best parents in the history of the world, or what???

Kevin and I are going to fly into London, spend a few days there, and then we're going to rent a car and wander all over the continent....including Scotland. We're going to spend the last few days in Ireland and fly home out of Dublin. We're going to stay in B&Bs and eat on the cheap, but we're hoping for 2 whole weeks!!!

My goal is to spend our time visiting all of the places that I've read about for the last 25 years - not the touristy places, but the medieval/renaissance historical sites. I want to see Hertford Castle and the Reading Abbey Ruins and Windsor Castle and...

And people wonder why my spinning wheel is named Empress Matilda (sometimes Queen Matilda, depending on my mood).

I have almost 16 months to plan this trip - the wait is going to be excruciating!! I took out every travel guide/book at the library and I've been poring over them constantly since our trip to Nashville. :-)

Any bloggers from Great Britain - your input and recommendations are most welcome!! BlueADT - keep an eye out for me - I may just need an airedale fix while I'm there!!

4 Comments:

Blogger sabrina said...

You are going to have SO MUCH FUN I HAVE TO USE CAPS LOCK AND MULTIPLE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!

For serious. :-)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

OH, Kim.............This is just SOOOOO Spectacular! The trip of your dreams! I wish you could take a couple days to Shetland/Fair Isle, too! Send postcards!!! I'll be with you in my dreams.

7:09 AM  
Blogger blueadt said...

Fantastic News! You'd be welcome to visit & I'm sure the 'dales would love a new person to nosepoke!

We're near the ferry (nr Hull on the East Coast) so you could pop over to Holland????

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

OMG! That is fabulous!

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home