Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Harlot kind of day!

I just got back from Lyndhurst - Joseph-Beth Booksellers, to be exact. The Yarn Harlot is on her book tour, and she has finally made it to Northeast Ohio!!! I got there at 9:15 for a 2:00 presentation (I don't know the area, folks - I could have been wandering for hours. Luckily, it was very easy to find). I was the first one there, but these wonderful people showed up about 30 minutes after I did That's Madeline, Kimberly, Melissa and Kathy. Very funny, friendly people. We hijacked the small seating area, because that's where the presentation was going to take place. Before they moved everything, it looked like this (I was standing in the center aisle book display):
We had a feeling that there may be a problem...

I got lunch at the bistro - a Greek wrap that was wonderful (good food in a bookstore? Who'da thunk it?) The cous-cous was absolutely delicious.
They didn't start setting up until noon, and there were probably 40 people there already.
(this is as they were still setting up the chairs) By 12:30:


And a panoramic picture right before it started: (oh, yeah - see that empty chair in front of the podium with the sweater hanging on it? That's mine. Sometimes it pays to get there 5 hours early...) The second person from the left is Sally, from the Ohio Soapers! Unfortunately, once again, they underestimated the force of the knitting community. They ordered 90 copies of the book, and it sold out before the event started. Even worse? They only had 58 chairs.

All of a sudden, she arrived (please note - she wearing the BOHUS!) Wow, it's gorgeous - especially up close!I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time - she was hysterical!
Petting her stash yarn (ummmm....you had to be there)

A picture of the two of us, taken when she was in mid-sentence... :-)

This was really a lot of fun - I spent the day surrounded by knitters! Of course, I was surrounded by people knitting beautiful, fabulous things, and I was sitting there knitting...a giant garter stitch square. (It's an emergency KnitPicks project - don't ask!) I brought a sock along just to prove that I can knit something besides squares. :-)

The most amazing part?? She's read my blog!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, TYH is absolutely terrific! I saw her on first book tour when she came to Greensburg, PA. (Email me when you get your camp info, OK?)

5:20 PM  
Blogger sabrina said...

Yeah! She's going to be here at my favorite LYS on Wednesday -- right after my first Sox game of the season! The shop's tiny though, I have no idea how they'll fit us all in!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that was some fast posting to the blog! Had a great time hanging out knitting and waiting for The Yarn Harlot with you. Love your blog -- yes, I've added it to my favorites.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The Yarn Harlot has read your blog? I am SO impressed! Isn't she totally fantastic to listen to? What a riot!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is, what is a garter stitch? Just whattaya workin' on, anyway??? LOL

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm terrified.

I'm going to see the Yarn Harlot tomorrow night, and I was HOPING that being an hour early would work...

I guess not. Especially If I want to get a copy of her book!

Diane

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Wonderful report! The young woman's name is Melissa, my daughter in law from Columbus who knit that lovely Argosy scarf I wore. Thanks for being such a fun waiting companion. Like the "other Kim", I've added your blog to my favorites.

Kathy

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Kody L said...

I enjoyed reading thhis

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home