Monday, May 28, 2007

Random Stuff and (some of the) WIPS...

For the SP10 contest - here are *some* of my WIPS. This isn't all of them, but I'm not going to go into the attic to retrieve the rest of them right now... Let's see. In this picture there are 4 sweaters in progress, 3 shawls, 5 socks, a vest and a glove. This picture doesn't include the Mimbres in progress for KnitPicks, or the 2 socks that will be in progress as soon as the yarn gets here...

I'm taking advantage of my knee feeling pretty good right now, so I spun a bobbin of the roving that my secret pal sent a few weeks ago
and then I practiced my Navajo plying. I still need a lot of practice, but I think it turned out pretty well!
The Great Lakes Fiber Show was a lot of fun! Molly and I behaved ourselves (for the most part, anyway), but I did find a couple of really great deals. I loved this pin, and it forced money out of my wallet and jumped into my bag:
The Sheep Shed Studio had Lamb's Pride and Wildfoote sock yarn for $3.00 a skein:
Homespun Acres (from right here in Medina County) had *the* most gorgeous, soft, 50/50 Tussah Silk/Red Kid Mohair blend, and 2 ounces of it followed me home.
As soon as I got home, I had to try it out...and all that I can say is holy cow. It is absolutely wonderful to spin!! I wish I would have picked up more!
French Creek Fiber Arts has started carrying Fiber Artist roving. I picked up 2 braids each of their BFL and their wool/silk blend:









Molly and I split a Shetland fleece. She took her half to Wooly Knob Fiber Mill for processing, and I brought my half home.
I washed a handfull of locks and handflicked them - this is going to be a gorgeous fleece - especially since it was under $6.00 a pound!!

I forgot to put a ruler in the picture, but this lock is 5" long and very, very soft.

I've wanted a triangle loom for a while now, so when I saw this for 50% off, I grabbed it. It's a small one, but I thought it would be a good one to start with (and Kevin has been promising me for ages that he would build me a large one, so this should be a good template for him).

Unfortunately, after weaving on it (and ripping off the finished piece and unraveling it), I discovered exacly why it was 50% off...it's missing a nail in each of the top corners. Argh. I'm going to see if Kevin can put one more nail in each corner for me.

8 days of school left...hooray!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Great haul! Hope you're feeling Much better! Know the end of school will help you! Camp is coming up on us...not long...not long...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Craftybernie said...

That looks like a nice healthy stash! Your spinning looks great. And the colours of the Navajo plied yarn are lovely.

It's one of my goals this year to learn how to spin on a drop spindle.

Out of curiosity, how much yarn did the roving yield (the Navajo plied one)? It's probably one of those impossible questions like "how long is a piece of string" but I'm curious to know how much wool roving you need to spin before you have enough wool to knit something - like a pair of socks, for example.

Bernie :)

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home