Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The ultimate in tacky

Kelson brought home a form yesterday - the marching band is having their awards banquet *this* Friday. Buffet-style food, dessert, and "dancing." (?????) Now, it's bad enough that they only gave us a few days notice...but it's going to cost $20 per person to attend!!! And Kelson has to pay, too!! The tackiness is just astounding to me.

"I'm sorry - pay up or you don't get an award."

A woman from the band boosters called me last night at 9:45. I don't know about you, but if you call me after 9:00, it damned well better be an emergency - especially since I was sound asleep after taking Nyquil. Anyway, she was calling all of the parents of the freshmen to make sure that they got the form. I questioned the audacity of CHARGING for an awards banquet, and she said "but we hired a DJ!"

Well, that just makes it all better, doesn't it?

If you're going to have a band fundraiser, call it a fundraiser and be done with it. If my band director had tried this, he wouldn't have been the band director very long...

4 Comments:

Blogger sabrina said...

LAME. yes, very tacky.

also: a dj? if there's a dj and dancing, it's a school dance, not an awards banquet. nomenclature is everything.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree -- a dance and an awards banquet are 2 entirely different things. However, it's easier to get most kids to come to an after school banquet if they can dance (and get loaded in the parking lot). The caller who was part of the 'we' who hired a dj should be Fired.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes!! That sort of reminds me of this charitable organization's banquet to honor volunteers. Both my brother and I volunteered equally. My brother got the free ticket to the banquet and I was invited to be the paying guest.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I firmly adhere to what I call the double digit rule - no phone calls before 10 am no phone calls after 10pm. However, I'm usually nearing bed by 9, so I'm pretty shocked when the phone rings after that, and yes, it's rude. Very little couldn't have waited until, say, 10:15 am the next day.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home