Monday, February 20, 2006

Uh-Oh!!!

I feel like the cross country skier who made a wrong turn on the relay course yesterday!! I'm getting close to the top, and I started thinking about how I was going to do the decreases on the sleeves. After I cut the steeks, I will pick up stitches all the way around and start working the colorwork on the sleeves. Does anybody see the problem here?

Yep, I screwed up royally! I put the stitches on the holder when I started the intarsia, not when I started the main colorwork. (Lesson: Always read the pattern thoroughly before starting!! Studying the pictures of the completed item would have helped, too...) As a result, when I pick up the stitches for the underarm, I would be joining into a rather large white section of the body! Much swearing ensued at this point. I stared at this for over an hour this morning, trying to figure out if there was a way I could knit the pouch stitches up to the steeks and cut.

I called SchoolHouse Press in a minor panic and talked to Meg. She came up with a brilliant idea: since I had to create a gusset under the sleeves, I will create a matching gusset when I pick up the sleeves. I will do a rapid decrease to get rid of the 14 rows of stitches, create a triangular white gusset under the arm, and it will look like I planned it the whole time! :-) Thank you, Meg!!!

Whew. Back to my knitting!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing you're approaching this in the morning and not after work! What a Meg! You had already changed the pattern (no X's on the bottom part) and now this adaptation. You'll have the sweater taken care of in no time!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kim,
With hope that our scheme will work... I will continue to monitor your blog to find out.
Meanwhile - please tell me where I can find the review you wrote about our new website...?
Onward,
Meg

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home