Sunday, October 09, 2005

random Sunday stuff and needles

I've been working on a new sweater for KnitPicks. I'm supposed to make this sweater from Rowan Vintage Knitsout of their Twist yarn. I got gauge right off of the bat, so the yarn is not a problem...for the majority of the population. However, I belong to the relative minority of knitters who hate, detest, despise novelty yarn (have I mentioned that I can't stand it?) Twist, in my eyes, is a novelty yarn. This is the border:

Believe it or not, that's a seed stitch border. Stitch definition gets kinda lost with poofy, nubbly, ribbony yarn.

Oh, well. I'm almost done with the back. Luckily, I have until the middle of next month to finish it, so I can afford, time-wise, to put it down and work on my shawl. I'm actually fairly close to finishing it, but these will definitely help:


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is a pair of 31" size 7 (4.5 mm) Holz & Stein ebony needles!! They came in the mail on Friday. If I save up my pennies and feed the kids peanut butter and jelly for a week, I may just be able to afford another pair. :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger sabrina said...

goodness, that's a shiny hardwood floor behind that there knitting needle. :-)

as for the sweater -- you're right, i can hardly tell it's seed stitch. actually it looks like a 1x1 rib, only slightly more symmetrical, to me. at least the color is working out well enough, it looks like -- when i looked at the yarn i thought it would look way too speckled.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Pardon my stupdity, why are those needles so expensive?

2:18 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

They're really not that much more expensive than Addis, but they're made in Germany from the wood left over from the constructiuon of woodwind instruments. The supply can be very limited...
But I wish I had a circular in every size now - they are absolutely divine to knit with.

3:20 PM  
Blogger blueadt said...

Consider yourself tagged - questions on my blog :-)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful needles! Don't know what I think about that yarn...I feel the same way about those poofy yarns.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(um, that was me, your secret pal, leaving anonymous comments)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home