Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yes, I'm still here - I think!

Turns out that my "aggravating health problem" was a tad bit more than aggravating.

Last Wednesday, my ob-gyn put me on a type of hormone to stop bleeding. By Thursday afternoon, I was being taken out of school and to the ob-gyn because of a reaction to the medicine. After a 30 second exam, I was on my way to Medina General Hospital, where I was given Demerol for the pain and being prepped for an emergency hysterectomy.

Not fun, let me tell you. Especially since I have "tough skin" (it's on my chart!) and deep veins - it took 5 different people 8 tries before they could get a IV going!

I knew that this would be coming eventually, but I wasn't quite ready for "you're going NOW." I had the surgery at 1:00 Friday afternoon, and came home Saturday morning. (They tried to send me home Friday night, but Kevin convinced them that it would be better if I stayed).

Now I'm home recovering. The doctor okayed me to go back to work in one week (!!!!!), but I'm taking two instead. I can't sit in the computer chair for very long, so my computer time has been pretty severely limited (I think that I'd give my left arm for a laptop - daytime TV really stinks, we don't have a remote for the DVD player anymore, I can't knit or read while on Vicodin, and I'm tired of looking at my living room!!)

For those who may be interested, I had a Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy, and they also took my left ovary.

Damned fibroids.

6 Comments:

Blogger yellowdogknitting said...

Thinking good thoughts for you!!!!!

1:50 PM  
Blogger blueadt said...

Ouch!

I hope you're feeling better soon.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Susan Luni said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear all that. Surgery, especially something like that, is something for which one should be allowed to prepare. You may not see it in a positive light right now, but my hysty was the best, best thing ever for me. The fibroids were taking too many days out of my life. Now I don't have those, days of ache and exhaustion each month, and I don't miss them a bit!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I thought 6 weeks recovery was the norm?

12:25 AM  
Blogger Knittinreed said...

Healing thoughts coming your way....

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh No. Well, after healing you will feel ever so much better. Since I have a complete fear of doctors and hospitals, the timing of your surgery (immediate) would be the best for my brain. Preparing for surgery to me only means the fear builds. Yeah for camp acceptance! I'm 2.75.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home