Thursday, June 11, 2009

Welcome to my roller-coaster!

I know it's been 6 weeks or so, but it's been an interesting 6 weeks...to say the least.

I *finally* got a full-time English position next year. Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe how I felt about that - no more JDs! 4 classes of 9th grade English, and 1 class of 9th grade Basic English.

The other shoe fell 2 weeks later, though. The Tuesday after Memorial Day, we got an email stating that there was a "Sudden, Unforeseen Delinquency" in the school funding...to the tune of 5 million dollars.

On Wednesday, I received my RIF notice. 34 of us were cut at the high school (including 7 English teachers!) and there were 74 RIFs district-wide. We'll see how this plays out - we think that it's a little bit fishy that we were suddenly absolutely stone-broke...right as we were getting ready to start negotiating for a new contract.

I'm 2nd highest in seniority in the department, so I should be called back, but the waiting game is absolutely terrible. School's out for the year, though, so there is that!

Kelson graduated from high school on Sunday - a week after his 17th birthday. I think that if he could, he'd leave for college right now! He's happy - this is his first summer without marching band. :-) Commencement was held at the James A. Rhodes Arena at the University of Akron, and it went off without a hitch. Including speeches, choir and wind ensemble performances, and calling the names of 570 seniors, the entire ceremony took exactly 1-1/2 hours!

In knitting news, I have a new KnitPicks project in the catalog:Her First Party Dress, in Essential sock yarn. This was a very quick, easy knit!

Now I have to go pack. Oh - did I mention that I'm going on a trip? With my sister? No? Well, thanks to Mom and Dad, we're leaving Sunday for 3 days in Paris, and then we're taking the Chunnel to London for 4 days! :-) I'll update my Flickr account as I can - I'll have my laptop, but our hotel in Paris doesn't have internet (our hotel in London does, though).

Off to pack! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, Kim! You'll get your position....I once taught for a district that RIF'd everyone then hired all but a couple people back who were 'iffy' in the classroom. It did drive us crazy. Paris and London! Sisters! What a fantastic time you will be having. Can hardly wait to read all about it!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home